Monday, February 2, 2015

Tree Print Pillow, Hamper, Arrow Curtains

I've been revamping my bedroom a bit, got rid of a much of clutter and garbage, and did some sewing. So far I've made curtains, a hamper, and some pillows.


For the drapes I used this tutorial. The fabric is from Fabric.com, and I used blackout lining from Jo Anns.

Inspiration photo from here

I've been seeing this tree print pillow around a lot and I decided to make my own. I also really love the print of the bag and want to use that too.


I used a pillow form that I bought at the goodwill for like $2 because I am too cheap for the ones at Jo Anns (even on sale). I just unzipped the cover that was on it and bam!, pillow form.   


The fabric is white bottom weight cotton from Jo Anns. I printed out the inspiration tree, traced that onto my lino block, carved it and inked it up with some acrylic paint mixed with textile medium. After it dried I ironed it to set it and sewed in my zipper.


I got fancy and put in a lapped zipper using this tutorial for help. I happened to have a white metal zipper in the right length that came from a bag of them bought at a thrift store. Mine definitely has a hand stamped look about it, but I'm pretty happy with it. My mom said she really liked the fabric and thought I bought it like that, so there's that. I'm planning on doing the half circles in lino the same way.


I made the hamper using this tutorial. I changed it by making it slightly larger, not folding the top down into a cuff, and I lined mine. Oh, and I used fusible fleece to give it a bit more body. The gray spotted fabric is home decor but not very thick. It's still not very rigid, but it stays up and open with clothes in it.


Both the fabric and the fusible fleece are from Jo Anns. I kind of like the play between the geometric outside and frilly floral inside.


Handles!


I wash my work uniforms separate from the rest of my clothes, so I have two hampers. I'm planning on making a half height one to put next to it and replace the cheap plastic one (dollar store). I might print the half circles for it, not sure yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment