So, I am pretty sure everyone needs ridiculously exciting boxers for Valentine's Day, so I made my boyfriend these.
When I sent him a text telling him I made him something cheesy he sent back 'oh dear' and I almost lost it because, of course they are deer.
The fabric is something my parents bought me a couple months ago from the thrift store, apparently this is just the sort of thing that screams me. As soon as I saw it I knew that it was destined to be boxer shorts.
The pattern is a free download from Measure Twice Cut Once called the Darcy Boxer Shorts. I cut a size small after comparing it to a pair of boxers that I might have borrowed (without asking) from my boyfriend. They were labeled 28-30, and another pair said small, so I think the sizing is pretty accurate.
I used exposed plush elastic, the instructions have you butt the ends against each other and then zigzag stitch which I hadn't tried before but it gives a less bulky finish and seems pretty strong.
I didn't follow most of the directions because I wanted to do flat felled seams. I have never done these before (I used french seams last time I made boxers) but I really wanted them to have that strong and RTW looking finish. You know, with deer hearts.
I was confused about how to do the fly with the flat felled seams and the order to do them in, so I followed this bloggers construction description and it worked out pretty well.
Other changes I made from the pattern, I used one button instead of two, this just seems to be how most of my bf's RTW boxers are so it's what I did, and doing a double fold hem at the bottom instead of just an edge finish and fold, that just seemed sloppy after I had already done the flat felling.
Showing the inside finishes and stitching.
The only problems I had were due to not paying enough attention to what I was doing. For example: cutting two of the left front piece instead of two of the back piece and then not noticing until after I had flat felled the inseams together...sewing after the bobbin thread ran out...not properly centering the button hole, ect.
Inside, showing the fly shield
Overall I was pretty happy with how they turned out. I would use this pattern again, but I might tweak the seam allowances to make the flat felling easier and the bottom hem a little wider. I might also add to the top next time to encase the elastic, which I think is a little neater and bf thinks more comfortable (although he said these were fine and wore them for the rest of the day without complaint.)
I will definitely be on the lookout for more boxer worthy fabric...