Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Herringbone PJ's and Undies

Yes, more pajama pants! I made so many pairs for gifts this last year that I am happy to get to make myself some. I also threw out an old ratty pair with holes and failing elastic (at least 10 years old).  Huzzah!

 I used Simplicity 2061 again, this time view D, which I have made before, but not for myself. I used Navy Herringbone Flannel Shirting Fabric from Jo Anns. I've really been liking herringbone lately for some reason. The fabric is very soft and pretty lightweight, I feel like to will be good material for spring and mild summer.

No surprises with the pattern since I have made it before. I'm not 100% sure on the changes I've made since I originally changed the pattern awhile ago, I believe I lowered the rise some, since I prefer a low rise, and added a few inches to the length.

The fabric frayed very easily so I decided to use french seams and changed the inside waist finish so the edge would be encased.  

 On to underwear! I feel like posting pictures of me in my undies on the internet is going a bit too far, so just assume these fit as they should.

I made the pattern myself by tracing a pair that fit well and referencing some online tutorials here and here, but mostly I winged it. They're stretchy, so the fit is forgiving. They fit me way better than most RTW, which always seem loose if they are lace, especially in the legs.

I used stretch lace from Debs Lace and Trims, a great online store if you can't find a good variety locally, and very reasonably priced in my opinion. No, I'm not being paid, but if someone wanted to that would be okay too.

For fabric I used two xl (or larger) shirts from the thrift store, just knit t-shirt type material. I can get two pairs from one shirt, so if I go to the thrift store on 50% off day then I can make these for a steal.

I made the bows with 1/8" ribbon and just tied them and sewed threw the center, and fray checked the edges. I feel like it makes them look a bit more RTW and, well, you can see which side is the front when you are in a hurry.

I feel like my underwear pile looks so fancy now with these on top.

I used french seams on the inside, just because.

I feel like I should be moving on to some more serious sewing project, but these are so fun and fast to make, I will probably be making more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment