I've been on a summer sewing kick lately and have been trying to get some new warm weather clothes done before the really warm weather actually hits.
First up, some mustard shorts. I'm particularly fond of the color mustard, I don't know why because I don't like the condiment at all. I looked for good mustard fabric, but didn't find any I really liked... until I found a pair of plus size pants at the thrift store.
Initially I thought I had lots of fabric to work with, but I ended up just barely squeezing my pieces on.
The pattern that I used is a pretty tried and true one for me. I've made them three times red, gray, striped. It's a free Owly Baby pattern, available here, with modifications to fit. These are most similar to my striped pair because I left off the leg cuff, I didn't have the fabric.
I serged some of the seams, which is something different from my other pairs. I didn't have my serger when I made the other ones. For the inside waist band and the pockets I used a white cotton with tiny anchors on it. I actually got it from the thrift store as well...it used to be boxers. I think it was probably interesting as boxers because the fabric is very thin and somewhat see through...
I managed to catch not one, but both pockets, in seams that they shouldn't be in. That's talent. One is an easy fix, it's just the belt loop stitching that messed it up, but the other one requires re doing part of the waist band seam. Sigh. It's not affecting the functionality of the pockets but I know I should fix it.
Also in one of those oh-my-god-what-have-I-done moments I somehow cut a tiny hole in the fabric. It's on the right side of the fabric and doesn't go all the way through. I immediately put fray check on it and it seems pretty stable now. But it made me not a happy camper.
I feel like I might have made too many pairs of shorts given how the weather is around here, but I can't help it, I want to make more. I want a polka dot pair and a floral pair...
On to tank tops. The pattern I used is Jalie 3245, I cut a size O and made a few modifications.
The first being following this bloggers lead and leaving off the binding. I just folded the edges under and did a cover stitch. This worked out really well on the first tank top but on the second one my serger wasn't having any of it and stretched some parts out of shape. I was able to iron it back into submission with enough steam. So, it mostly worked out, maybe stabilizing it some how would be a good idea.
I also took about 2 inches off of the hem, just not a fan of how long it looked on me. My torso is a little short though.
I was able to sew the whole thing on my serger, so yay for that.
Cover stitched hem. The fabric is Panache in Profundo from the Petal and Plume collection. I bought it from Hawthorne Threads here.
Exact same situation with this one, just different fabric.
This fabric is from Girl Charlee. It's actually still available even though I bought mine last summer. I horde fabric a bit.
Next up is a Nettie bodysuit made shirt. I cut the smallest size and I'm pretty sure that was a mistake because this sucker is tight. I fell well within the measurements for the smallest size but I think I just wasn't accounting for how tight bodysuits are and how maybe I wouldn't want my shirt that tight.
I cut the scoop neck and medium scoop back. I originally had long sleeves but they were so TIGHT, and I have seriously skinny arms...like bracelets don't fit me skinny, like the people at the fair that put wrist bands on you make comments about it skinny. I would be weary of the sleeves...
After I hacked them off they were a lot better. I sewed the whole thing on my serger, which was nice but didn't allow for a lot of fit changes. I also had some issues with the sleeve caps sticking up weird. I added fabric to the shoulder on the neck side to try to make sure it would stay up and cover my bra straps but it still really doesn't. It's really kind of a finicky shirt to wear and I have to adjust it a lot. I should probably try to make another one with changes but I'm just not excited about it.
All ready for summer.
I really like the curve of the hem on the Jalie tank top pattern.
And this is how it looks in flight.
The fabric I used for the shirt is a Riley Blake jersey knit from Fabric.com. It kind of bothered me that it is printed not yarn knit, it doesn't look that great when it stretches, which is kind of the point of a knit if you ask me. I don't think it's worth the price.
I do like how you can wear a bra with the medium scoop.
Look Ma, I can match prints! (sometimes)
I do like black and white + mustard shorts combination.
I tried this one with the mustard shorts, but I like how it looks better with my gray shorts from last year.
I should probably wear a racerback bra with this in the future...
I am really digging this print.
I also made my mom a tank top using the same pattern for Mothers day. I cut a S for her based on her measurements and took about two inches off the length, I probably could have took more off since she is shorter than me. The fabric is Specks Knit in Carambola from Hawthorne Threads.